Last Updated on May 2022
Did you know that propane is among the most ideal and safest gases to use in your workshop? It can burn hot enough toDid you know that propane is among the most ideal and safest gases to use in your workshop? It can burn hot enough to solder, braze, weld, and preheat metals of different width and construction.
Although some welders prefer using propane and oxygen together to provide stronger flames, it can work well without the use of an additional oxygen tank. This strength makes it ideal for the hobbyist welder or even an experienced welder looking for a portable, budget-friendly option.
With various torches available in the market, selecting the best propane torch is not as easy as most people presume. But in this review, we look to make the work easier for you with this product overview of ten of the best torches that can be used by both beginners and expert welders.
|Gas-powered||2.1 pounds||4 x 10.8 x 13.7 inches|
|Gas-powered||4.8 pounds||3 x 10 x 13.1 inches
|Gas-powered||3.57 pounds||3 x 35 x 5 inches|
|Gas-powered||1.2 pounds||1.9 x 5.2 x 12.2 inches|
|Gas-powered||2.24 ounces||1.4 x 4.6 x 9.9 inches|
|Gas-powered||4 pounds||38 x 3 x 3 inches|
|Gas-powered||15.2 ounces||21 x 2 x 4 inches|
|Gas-powered||6.4 ounces||1.2 x 3.8 x 11.2 inches|
9 Best Propane Torches
Bernzomatic BZ8250HT Trigger-Start Hose Torch
- 5-foot hose
- Instant igniter for ease of use
- Swirl flame comes with high intensity to provide an efficient flame
- Flame control knob that allows you to select the best flame option for work
- Regulator made from solid brass and is regulated by pressure to make it burn in multi-directions
- Belt holder for storing fuel
- Burn tube made from stainless steel for enhanced durability
Bernzomatic is among the leading names when it comes to a quality propane torch. You can complete your soldering, welding, or brazing tasks with ease thanks to its angled, well-elongated nozzle. This uniquely designed nozzle has a welder-friendly shape that allows you to regulate flame’s size while keeping it away.
The Bernzomatic BZ8250HT Trigger-Start Hose Torch comes with a hose of an impressive length that gives you the ability to move around and work without struggles. This torch is packed with amazing features like flame control, which allows you to control the flame; you can even set it on auto mode to maintain a certain level.
- Easy and quick to use due to the instant trigger option
- Can be locked at a specific level to allow for a trigger-free operation
- Adjustment knob makes it easy to control the flame
- The long hose gives you freedom to move
- The trigger lock can be hard to understand at first
- Not ideal for preheating projects
Hot Max 500G Big Max Propane Torch
- Comes fully assembled from handle to nozzle
- Fits perfectly as it comes with standard measurements
- 10 feet gas hose for ease of use
- Safety valve to prevent gas overflow
- Molded handle
Not many torches compare to the Hot Max 500G Big Max Propane torch, a multi-use warehouse torch that is ideal for preheating metals before welding. While this bad boy isn’t perfectly suited for brazing, soldering, and welding, it can come in handy in preheating material like cast iron or steel.
It is well known for its large flame that allows you to perform other functions like paint removal, removing parking lot or road markings, snow melting, and even burning weeds. The Hot Max is also known for its ergonomic trademark handle that is molded.
- Comes with a propane-detecting safety valve that prevents overflow of the gas
- Ready for use upon delivery as it comes assembled
- Valve control allows you to control the flame
- Molded handle makes it ideal for long-term usage
- The hose is long enough for comfortable usage
- Can perform several functions aside from preheating metals
- Manual start up
- Not ideal for gas welding
Red Dragon VT 2-23C
- Ideal for 20lb cylinders
- Manages heat of 2,000 Fahrenheit
- Comes fully packed, meaning you won`t have to make additional purchases
This propane torch lives up to the expectation that stems from its name. It is truly a dragon due to its 2,000 Fahrenheit flame that can help you solder, light weld, and get your other backyard or gardening tasks done.
This torch is among the most beloved by DIY farmers and is a proud recipient of the National Home Gardening Club seal-of-approval. You won`t feel its weight as it has a lightweight design, and the overall length is good enough to keep you a reasonable distance from the flame.
- Can easily hook to other large-capacity propane tanks
- Comes with a complete, fully stocked kit
- The heating capability is mid-level
Bernzomatic TS8000 High Intensity Trigger Start Torch
- Comes with flame control knob
- Pressure regulated
- Body made from cast aluminum
- Ideal for soldering, heat treating, light welding and brazing
- Auto start/off features
- Instant trigger
The Bernzomatic TS8000 High Intensity torch is among the best-rated in the market. As is usually the case with all Bernzomatic products, technology plays a significant part in the development if this propane torch. Its auto stop and start buttons ignite and extinguish the produced flame with ease.
You also won`t need to plan for another torch in years as the Bernzomatic TS8000 High Intensity torch is constructed from cast aluminum. This superior welding torch is pressure- regulated to help it maintain top performance when either inverted or tilted. You can also use a lock button to utilize the torch without your fingers on the trigger.
- Manages an impressive 3,000 Fahrenheit level, which is ideal for home or workshop use.
- The auto-start feature allows for one-hand use and also helps save time
- Boasts of adequate adjustment features that make easy to use
- Powerful flame
- Relatively heavy
Worthington WT2301 Trigger Start Propane Torch
- Users can ignite the flame easily using the trigger-start ignition feature
- Produces a webbed flame that allows for thawing, diameter soldering as well as melting
- The burn tube is angled and made from stainless steel
- The gas valve helps to control and extinguish the fire
- Comes with a 3-year limited warranty
- Lightweight design for ease of use
The Worthington WT2301 Trigger Start Propane Torch is well known for its pocket-friendly pricing and ease of use. Despite not having some of the features more expensive torches have, this trigger start torch can serve you pretty well in your home or warehouse tasks.
You no longer have to start your torch manually with the option of Worthington WT2301 Trigger Start. The gas valve turns on when you pull the trigger. However, you won`t get premium flame control features with this torch. You cannot auto control the flame as quenching it will need you to adjust the gas valve by turning it off.
You can use this gas welding torch for activities such as brazing, soldering, and other welding needs. The Worthington WT2301 Trigger Start Propane Torch, however, does not come with a long-enough nuzzle.
- Among the most affordable
- Can be used for several purposes
- Auto lighting feature makes it ideal for one-hand usage
- Light for easy movement
- Made from stainless steel
- Not as durable as other torches due to the use of materials that aren’t the best quality
Mag Torch MT 5000 High Output 500,000 Outdoor Torch Kit
- Comes with a 61″ hose
- Compatible with POL bulk propane tank
- Comes with a spark lighter that enhances user safety
The Mag Torch MT5000 is a standard option for welders who don’t mind torches that lack auto-ignition. This torch is sold as a kit and also comes with its spark lighter that is designed to provide ultra-safe ignition. While this torch isn’t powerful enough to perform heavy welding tasks, it is ideal for outdoor use, such as melting ice or weed control.
The Mag Torch MT5000 is slightly heavy, standing in at 4 pounds, which makes it a bit less ideal compared to other torches that weigh as little as a single pound. It is advisable, however, to use this torch with gas cylinders above 20 pounds.
- The hose is long enough to allow for flexible usage
- Powerful enough to perform welding and outdoor tasks
- Built to last
- Simple to use
- Doesn’t come with auto ignition
- The attached spark lighter isn’t durable
Lincoln Electric KH825-O1
- An impressive output of 500,000 BTU
- Comes with a valve made from solid brass for flame control
- The gas hose is 10` LP
- Comes packed with a free striker
The Lincoln Electric KH825-O1 is designed for large scale usage. It boasts of an elongated ten-foot hose and user-friendly gas and throttles that are designed to last. While this bad boy might not be appropriate for gas welding, it is ideal for preheating metals and blowing up large flames.
The Lincoln Electric Inferno also boasts of a valve made from solid brass that allows for easy adjustment. It does work well with 20, 50, and 100lb cylinders. You also don’t have to worry about the excessive flow of propene as it also comes with a safety valve that prevents overflow. This welding torch is ideal for removing paint, burning stumps and weed, melting ice, roofing, melting tar, and road repair.
- Can perform multi-purpose functions, making it ideal for home and workshop usage
- Adjustable flame type
- Lightweight despite its powerful output
- Comes with a safety-enhanced striker that allows for easy start-ups.
- Lacks auto-ignition features
JJ George Grill Torch Charcoal Starter
- Designed to produce minimal sparks
- Designed to be durable
- Fully adjustable flame until 1300 Fahrenheit
The JJ George Grill Torch Charcoal Starter boasts of a unique design and powerful functioning mechanism. This torch is primarily designed to light charcoal, but can also be used in the workshop. What makes this torch stand out is its hose-less functionality, meaning it is directly connected to a propane canister or bottle.
This unique propane torch is easy to light thanks to its built-in ignition features. It also allows for an impressive level of flame adjustment, making it possible for you to select your desired flame size depending on the nature of the project. The flame size might not be small enough for brazing or gas welding, but it can also manage preheating metals.
The JJ George Grill Torch Charcoal Starter is designed for charcoal lighting and metal heating at the workshop. Since it is hose-less, it might be slightly hard to cover a large surface area when using this torch.
- Multipurpose as it can also be used in the workshop for heating surfaces
- Ideal for lighting charcoal in under a minute
- Can also perform light outdoor tasks like snow melting
- Automatic ignition
- Cordless, allowing you to carry it to your area of work with ease
- Not ideal for gas welding
Mag-Torch MT200C Propane Pencil Flame Burner Torch
- Ideal for propane gas only
- Comes with a replaceable orifice
- Boasts of an adjustable knob for fuel economy and flame control
- The valve is made of solid brass for increased durability
- Design allows for concentrated flame
The Mag-Torch MT200C Propane Pencil torch is among the best-priced and most durable torches in the market. While it is not the easiest to use, this torch comes with a reasonably large flame adjustment range that allows you to complete your preheating or welding tasks with ease.
The MT 200C is designed for pinpoint heating as the torch delivers a concentrated flame. You can also count on the Mag-Torch MT200C Propane Pencil to help you save on your gas as it has an adjustable knob that helps control the flame’s size.
- Produces a well-concentrated flame that makes it ideal for melting material
- Impressive range of flame adjustment
- Pocket-friendly pricing
- Built to last
- Cannot be used with a hose
- Manually ignited which might trouble first time users who don’t know how to start the torch safely
Factors to Consider when Buying a Propane Torch
Now that we have discussed some of the leading products in the propane torch market, it`s time to shift our focus on some of the primary considerations to keep in mind as you look to get one for your home or warehouse. Consider these factors.
Type of Flame
A blowtorch can produce several types of flames. The best models, however, release swirl style flames as such flames manage more heat concentration in a small surface area. This form allows you to weld with uncompromised precision while also helping conserve the overall energy.
Some torches are manually ignited while others come with auto-ignition features. For ease of use and increased safety, we recommend using a blow torch that can be ignited automatically. Some top brands prefer manual ignition, which explains their decision to include spark sticks for starting the torches. We find this to be too taxing, especially when you can just press a button and have the torch ready to flame up!
The durability of your propane torch is mainly dependent on the type of material used in construction. Most torch heads and pipes are constructed from either aluminum or stainless steel. If you want a light torch that will be easy to move around, we advise settling for aluminum constructed torches.
Some torches come with long hoses; others come with medium hoses, while others have none. It all depends on your preferences and intended use. For large scale work, we recommend using torches that come with long hoses as they do come in handy in increasing your flexibility. For home use, a shorter hose or no hose at all might be better.
Flame Boosts (Turbo Triggers)
More premium and larger models come with boost triggers for increasing the intensity and power of the flame produced. Having such features at your disposal can help improve the quality of your output.
Cost and Performance
Always check on the prices to determine your preferred price range. As expected, premium propane torches will pack a lot more features than their basic counterparts, meaning they will be far more expensive. Consider factors such as your intended usage. Some propane torches, like several options discussed in our review above, can be put to multiple uses.
Safety Precautions You Should Consider When Using Propane Torches
Of course, any warehouse or welding work requires you to take extra precautions to avoid sustaining an injury. These precautions are why you have to observe the following safety measures when using propane torches for welding or outdoor tasks.
- Wear adequate safety equipment, never forget to wear your welding goggles, gloves, and helmet as you put your propane torch to use.
- Always work in an area that is adequately lit and ventilated to avoid gas build-up.
- Never forget to adjust the frame as you proceed to different tasks. Ensure that you know everything about handling and regulating the torch before putting it to use.
- Keep the torch far away from flammable materials in your garage or workspace.
- Keep your propane gas cylinders safe and stored away from easily accessed areas.
- Read the user manual for extra safety tips or to better understand ways to keep the flames under control.
Best Places to Purchase Propane Torches
There are several places to buy safety gear. For worry-free return policies, transparency in product quality and customer service, and fast shipping, head over to Amazon.
When you browse on Amazon, you can see what previous buyers thought of the product they bought and everything about material quality, protective features, and comfort. You don’t need to go out to compare features or find the best product for your needs.
If you have a problem with your propane torch, you can also quickly and easily return the product.
With several blowtorches to choose from, it is essential to understand your intended use before proceeding to buy one. A product like the Bernzomatic BZ8250HT Trigger-Start torch is built to last and provide you with technologically advanced features. However, such premium torches will cost you slightly more than simple options that come with basic features.
The ten propane torches discussed are among the leading products in the market, meaning that you won`t go wrong if you chose one from the above list.
Point of caution, though, always consider your skill-level before settling for various welding products, including torches. It is better to spend more and get a propane torch with adequate safety features than to buy a basic design meant for experienced welders, which is likely to lead to injury.
Disclosure: We make a small commission from Amazon whenever you purchase products following our links (at no additional cost to you). This will never affect our evaluation of products. You can find our full disclosure here.