Last Updated on September 2020
Getting the Best Welding Extension Cords for your welding projects need not be difficult if you have the right information. It’s a fact that there’s no shortage of extension cords in the market today. If you spend a large amount of your working time welding outside, you know the value of welding extension cords.
However, these extension leads are not the same, and this is especially true if you are thinking about extension cables for use in industrial applications such as welding. Many informed welders prefer to use welding extension cords that have a 220/240V rating and an amperage rating of 50 amps.
The reason is simple. These welder extension cords allow you to weld and safely use your equipment even when it’s not directly connected to an outlet. This helps you increase the distance from which you can work away from the power outlet.
In case a welding-related accident happens to you as you weld, and you are not using an appropriate welding extension cord, your insurance might refuse to cover the losses incurred. Now that we have covered the importance of having the right welding extension cord, let’s reiterate our focus on the thrust of these product reviews.
Like every other product, not all 220/240V, 50 Amp power cables are good enough. The quality of these extension cords varies greatly; some are great, while others are merely mediocre.
In this Best Welding Extension Cords review, we highlight some of the best extension cables we’ve found in the market and give you some of the crucial pros that have made these products hot-favorites. Of course, for each item, we list the challenges you might experience with the cable.
Finally, the review winds up with some vital buying tips. These tips will guide you in making an informed decision when buying your next welding extension cable.
For each product in this review, you can check the price and more product details by clicking on the product name (the subheading).
|Copperwire||10 pounds||480 x 1 x 1 inches|
|PVC/Copper||11.33 pounds||13.3 x 13.2 x 4.2 inches|
|PVC/Copper||10.9 pounds||14 x 14 x 14 inches|
|Copper||13.92 pounds||14.09 x 13.62 x 4.49 inches|
|Copper||11.28 pounds||13.5 x 13.3 x 3.7 inches|
|Copper||12.92 pounds||13.86 x 12.56 x 5.67 inches|
|Copper||10.96 pounds||4.92 x 4.92 x 1.1 inches|
8 Best Welding Extension Cords
MaxWorks 80703 Heavy Duty 8 AWG/3C 6-50 R Plug Welding Cord ETL Approved
- Delivers 40 amps at 250 volts
- Lighted molded 50 amp plug and connector for added safety
- Heavy duty 8 AWG (American Wire Gauge)
Any professional welder looking for an extension cable that can accommodate industrial and commercial welding should give this heavy-duty cable a chance. The cable comes with great features that you’ll like as a professional welder.
The welder’s contractor-grade STW jackets maker is suitable for all your heavy-duty welding projects. Also, note that the cord is all-copper, thus giving you uniform and reliable power throughout the welding session.
For added safety, when power is on, this cord comes with built n indicator lights. What you might like most is that this cord is usable with all portable welding machines.
- With its 6-50 NEMA plug, the cord can efficiently work with a diverse range of portable welding machine
- You can count on this extension cord for all your heavy-duty welding projects, thanks to the 3 AWG and copper wires.
- The cord has a neo light that alerts you when the welding cord is live.
- The cable is very flexible, so it’s easy to arrange it according to your needs and preferences.
- The cord is safe to use due to the STW jacket used to insulate this cable.
- It is less pricey compared to other similar but competing brands.
- Some users complain that the connectors are rather tight and can be challenging to disconnect.
Parkworld 885323 Welder Extension Cord (25FT)
- 100% PVC on Jacket, 100% copper in conductor
- STW 8AWG/3C stranded wire extension cord
- Length : 25 FT
If you prefer a welding extension cable with a 100% PVC jacket, this extension cable with a 100% copper conductor might be what you are looking for. What’s even better is that you can select from three length choices.
- The conductor is a 100% copper material.
- It comes with a jacket made using 100% PVC material.
- It is a heavy-duty welding extension cable
- This welding cord can withstand maximum loads of up to 40 amps; this means it can accommodate different brands and models of welding machines.
- The LED light on the cables receiving end lets you know when the cable is working.
- Shipping might take longer since this product is made in China
Southwire 8/3 Heavy-Duty STW 40-Amp/250 Welder Extension Cord
- 40 Amps, 250 Volts and 10,000 Watts
- 8-Gauge STW jacket
- Lighted receptacle end
This is a mid-priced welder extension cable that brings with it numerous useful features. The cable comes with a high-quality jacket and won’t let you down as you use it in your daily welding assignments.
Although the 25-feet cord is almost half the length of many welder extension cords in the market, it makes it an excellent choice for portability if you work in small to medium-sized spaces. Just in case you need an extension cable for bigger and more industrial applications, you might have to look for another longer alternative.
- It’s easy to know when the cord is working; the receptacle end will light up when you turn on the cable.
- This welder extension cable can accommodate a variety of welding sizes thanks to its rating of250volts, 40 amps, and 10,000watts.
- The molded ends of this welder extension cord are molded for enhanced safety in your workspace.
- This extension cable can easily handle heavier loads.
- Quite durable
- This welder extension cable is not suitable for 115-volt welders.
VEVOR Welding Cord 50ft MIG Plasma Cord 30A Cord for Portable Welders
- Welding extension cord length: 50′ (15.24m);Current: 30A 10AWG
- Welding cord insulation thickness: 0.04″ (1.14mm) ;Sheath thickness: 0.06″(1.52mm)
- Extension cord is 3 prong socket 3 prong plug
If you frequently both TIG and MIG welding, then this leading welder extension cable is a good choice for you. With its 50-ft cord length, you can easily extend your power a whole 50ft away from the power source.
Any welder working in corrosive environments will like this heavy-duty extension cord due to its corrosion-resistant design.
Unlike many other cords that only work within a limited temperature range, the VEVOR 50ft MIG plasma remains flexible in temperatures far below freezing point. To be precise, this extension cable functions very well in temperatures in the range of -20 degrees Celsius to 60 degrees Celsius.
- It hardly heats up even when used for long periods.
- It is made using high-grade materials, making it quite durable.
- The 50-ft cord is much longer than the standard extension cables. This is an excellent feature if you have an ample workspace or you when you have to work outdoors, yet you don’t have a power outlet out there.
- It’s easy to roll up for storage.
- Its 3 conductors ensure its safe to use.
- Some users find the female end holes rather small. In case you encounter this problem you can always buy bigger ends for our cable.
Kosmo Supply 25’ Volt 50 Amp 8/3 Welder Extension Cord
- Rugged jacket
- Receptacle lights up when the cord is powered
- Resists abrasion and water
This is another right choice for anyone looking for a cable that delivers stable electricity flow for a high-powered welding machine. Kosmo Supply 25’ Volt 50 Amp 8/3 Welder Extension Cord is compatible with a wide range of brands of welders such as the Hobart Handler, Millermatic Welders, welders from Century, MIG series from Lincoln among others.
- Its ability to handle loads of up to 50 amps, this cord can be a decent choice if you want a stable and reliable source of electricity.
- The lighted end allows you to see when the cord is working.
- It has damage-resistant molded-on connectors.
- This extension cable is water-resistant, making it the right choice if you work in moist, humid, or even wet environments.
- There’s hardly any con worth mentioning that has been identified yet.
Miady 25ft 50AMP Welding NEMA 6-50 Cord with Lighted End
This is a professional, heavy-duty welder extension cable. It boasts of excellent abrasion, moisture, and oil resistance and flexibility. The lighted end receptacles give a power indicator showing you when the power is on, and the cord is ready to use. This feature provides you with added safety.
You’ll like the 25ft long cord since it provides decent length allowing you natural movement around the shop.
The cord’s STW jacket and X3 all-copper wires make the cable perfect for heavy-duty performance
Like many of the extension cords in this review, the Miady 25ft 50AMP Welding NEMA 6-50 Cord with Lighted End is compatible with most welders available in the market. Such welders include the Lincoln Power MIG series, Miller Millermartic welders, Century Welders, Ironman, and Betamig welders, and many others.
- It’s a heavy-duty welder extension cord.
- Lighted end receptacles show hen power I on, thus providing optimum performance and added safety.
- It’s an ETL listed cord. This means it meets the quality requirements of the most reliable and safe wires for customers.
- Compatible with a wide range of welders on the market.
- It does fit the standard household power outlets. So if you are looking for a welding extension cord to use with standard household outlets, you have to look for another cable.
VEVOR Heavy Duty Welding 50 Amp 50 Feet 8/3 Cord MIG TIG Plasma
- 25 Feet, 8AWG, rated at 50A
- Welding Machine Cord 3 prong socket 3 prong plug
- Heavy duty extension cord
This is another professional welder extension cable from VEVOR. With its 50’cord length, you can easily extend your power up to 50 feet away from the power outlet. You can combine this cord with your existing welder adapters and welder cords, thus offering you maximum protection you and other people from the hazardous welder sparks.
Its heavy-duty design is corrosion resistant and perfect for indoor use. This extension cord is resistant to splash water, and if you apply good material and STW jacket, the cord can deliver longer service time and the mush-required heavy-duty performance.
Just like its cousin mentioned earlier, this welding extension cord provides a wide working temperature range; it remains very flexible even in temperatures ranging between -20 degrees Celsius to 60 degrees Celsius.
- 50 feet cord length
- Heavy-duty design
- Wide working temperate range
- High compatibility with many welders on the market, including Miller Milermatic, Hobart Handler, Lincoln Power MIG series, Century welders, and many others.
- This cord does not plug into a 110 household socket. If you want a welding extension cable to use with a household 110 socket, this is not the item to buy.
25Ft Welder Extension, BougeRV 8AWG Heavy Duty Lighted End ETL Approved
- Rated at 40 amp 250 volt 10,000 watts
- 25 feet heavy duty
- Compatible with a variety of brands of welders
This is an all-copper wire 8 AWG heavy-duty extension cord for welders. It comes with an industry-standard NEMA 6-50 plug.
With this ETL-approved extension cord, your safety is ensured and guaranteed. Other welder extension cords in this list, this cord features a lighted receptacle end, which does a great job of notifying you when the power is on. This feature is essential as it helps you stay safe when using this extension cord.
The STW jacket gives superior performance and flexibility while offering insulation that is resistant to chemical exposure and abrasions. If you are using welding machines from major manufacturers such as Lincoln, Hobart, or Miler, this extension cable will serve you very well.
- It’s an ETL listed cord
- It comes with a lighted receptacle for added safety.
- It’s an all-copper wires extension cord for welders.
- It comes with an STW jacket for better performance and flexibility.
- It offers insulation against abrasions and chemical exposure.
- Compatible with welding machines from major manufacturers.
- Not compatible with the welding machine from minor manufacturers.
- The plug and receptacle are not water or moisture friendly.
Best Welding Extension Cords Buyer’s Guide
Why You Should Not Make Your Own Welding Extension Cord
There’s no shortage of online videos and forums claiming to advise welders on how to cut costs by making their welding extension cables. If you are serious about welding, a DIY approach to making extension cables should be treated with a LOT of caution or a better still AVOID it all together.
Unless you are a certified and experienced technician, a DIY approach is a dangerous adventure. You have neither the knowhow nor the skills necessary for the making of a welder extension cord. Knowing that electricity can be a cruel master, it’s safe only to use extension cables from reputable manufacturers.
Why Not Use Standard Extension Cord?
Well, with DIY welding extension cables out of the way, you might be wondering if there’s anything wrong with using standard extension cords. Of course, a standard extension cord is less expensive than high-quality 220/250V, 50 Amp extension cables. This fact might tempt you to use the less costly wires to save money.
However, there are numerous compelling reasons why you should not use standard extension cords in your welding.
In most cases, standard cords have larger gauge wires. This fact means the electrical power passing through them dissipates faster the longer the cable is. Welding equipment needs 50 amps, or more so when you use an extension cable with larger gauge wires there can be a big problem with voltage drop.
This drop can then lead to the overheating of the wires and the welder, which can cause a lot of damage to your welding machine.
When you use the wrong cable, you might keep blowing your fuses or stalling your work just because you are not receiving enough power.
Most extension kits require a 220-volt power socket. It is dangerous to attach a standard extension cord into this kind of outlet. If the cable cannot handle that amount of power, the wire will overheat and can cause short circuits or even fire in your workspace.
The Best Welder Extension Cords: What Should They Have?
It’s prudent to use the best welder extension cables. But if you don’t know or are not very sure of what to look for in this type of cords, you might easily land on the wrong wires or the not-so-good welder extension cables.
To get the best of these all-important cords that meet all the industry standards and customer requirements ensure the cords you get have the following features:
- The cord must be UL-listed – this ensures the extension cable has minimal chances to malfunction and harm you.
- It must have insulation that is resistant to both chemical exposure and abrasions.
- It should have a 6-gauge copper cable and copper conductors. This will ensure a consistent energy transfer throughout your welding project.
- It should have the industry-standard NEMA 6-50 plug as well as a receptacle.
- The cord must have the length that you need. Remember, shorter cables can handle more current than longer wires of the same gauge.
- Preferably, the cord should have three-prong or polarize plugs
Best Places to Purchase Welding Extension Cords
There are several places to buy welding accessories online. However for a worry-free return policies, transparency in terms of product quality and customer service, and fast shipping, head over to Amazon.
When you browse on Amazon, you can see what previous buyer reviews on the product they bought, and find out everything spec wise on the items quality, protective features, and comfort. You don’t need to go out to compare prices or features.
If you have problems with purchasing from Amazon there cstomer service is excellent, you can also quickly and easily return them.
As you select the best heavy-duty welder extension cord, price becomes essential. Know that the cost of this cord increases depending on the length of the cable. The best value for a welder extension cord is the 25-foot category. This often retails at an affordable range of about $30-$50, of course, depending on the brand.
Although our review list follows no specific order, we strongly think the Southwire 8/3 Heavy-Duty STW 40-Amp/250 Welder Extension Cord tops them all in terms of durability, portability, and safety features. Whether this cord fits your requirements or not, you are still sure to get one from this list that closely approximates to what you need.
Make your selection today and enjoy safe, durable, and flexible welding using one of the best heavy-duty welding extension cords.